Tuesday, February 17, 2009
1 Pound whole milk cottage cheese (4%)
2 large eggs
3 oz. grated Parmesan Cheese (about 1 1/2 Cups)
1 pound Ziti
2 Tablespoons olive oil
5 medium cloves of garlic minced or pressed (about 5 teaspoons)
1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3 Tablespoons of dried Basil or 1/2 Cup plus 2 Tablespoons fresh basil chopped
1 teaspoon of Sugar
ground black pepper
3/4 teaspoon of cornstarch
1 Cup heavy cream
8 oz. low moisture mozzarella cut into 1/4 in cubes about 1 1/2 cups
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350*. Whisk cottage cheese,eggs,and 1 cup of Parmesan cheese together in a medium bowl ; set aside. Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large dutch oven over high heat. Stir in 1 Tablespoon of Salt and pasta and cook stirring occasionally ; until pasta begins to soften but is not yet cooked through approx. 7-9 minutes. Drain pasta and leave in colander.
2. Meanwhile heat oil and garlic in 12 inch skillet over medium heat until garlic is fragrant but not brown,about 2 minutes. Stir in crushed tomatoes,diced tomatoes and oregano; simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 C. Basil and sugar. Season with Salt And Pepper.
3. Stir cornstarch into heavy cream in a small bowl; transfer mixture into the pan you used to cook the pasta. Over medium heat cook cream until thickened approximately (3 to 4 minutes).Remove pot from heat and add the cottage cheese mixture and 1 C. of the tomato sauce and 3/4 C. of cubed mozzarella stir to combine.
Add pasta and coat thoroughly with the sauce.
4. Transfer pasta to a 13 x9 in baking dish. Spread remaining tomato sauce evenly over the pasta. Sprinkle the remaining 3/4 C. mozzarella and remaining 1/2 C. Parmesan over the top. Cover baking dish tightly with foil if freezing place in a ziploc bag, on serving day thaw and bake for 40 minutes . Then continue with step five. If baking and not freezing bake in a 350* oven for 30 minutes and then continue with step five.
5. Remove foil and continue to bake until cheese is bubbling and just beginning to brown (about 20 minutes longer). Cool for 15 minutes sprinkle with remaining 2 TBL of basil and serve.