Sunday, December 7, 2008
Chocolate PeanutButter Cupcakes
• 1 box (18.25 ounces) devil's food
• cake mix
• 3 eggs
• 1 cup buttermilk
• 1/2 cup vegetable oil
• 2 cups chopped chocolate-covered peanut butter cups (about 8 ounces), plus more to garnish
• 8 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
• 1 cup heavy cream
• 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. line cupcake pans with cupcake papers.
2. In a large bowl, beat cake mix, eggs, buttermilk and vegetable oil on low for 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium-high; beat for 2 minutes, scraping down side of the bowl after 1 minute. Fold in 2 cups of the chopped peanut butter cups.
3. Divide batter between prepared cupcake pans. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
4. Place chopped dark chocolate in a medium-size bowl. Bring cream just to a boil and pour over chocolate. Whisk until chocolate melts. Add peanut butter and whisk until smooth.
Dip cupcakes in chocolate mixture and then garnish top with chopped peanutbutter cups .
** A second option for icing is this great cooked fudge frosting recipe **
Chocolate Fudge Frosting
2 Cups Sugar
½ Cup Shortening
3 oz Unsweetened Chocolate
2/3 Cup Milk
½ tsp salt
2 tsp. vanilla
Mix all ingredients except vanilla in a 2 ½ quart saucepan. Heat to rolling boil stirring occasionally. Boil 1 Minute without stirring. Place Saucepan in a bowl of ice and water. Beat until frosting is smooth and of spreading consistency, stir in vanilla.