Craving a Hostess Cupcake? Make these instead!!! My kids really liked these fabulous chocolate cupcakes. I picked up a Family Circle magazine today, and these amazing cupcakes were pictured on the cover (recipe on page 127 of the April 17 2009 issue).......ENJOY
Creme Filled Cupcakes
Bake at 350 * for 20 minutes
2 Cups all-purpose flour
1 Cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 1/2 Cups buttermilk
1 t. vanilla
1/2 Cup unsalted butter softened
1 1/2 Cups sugar
3 large eggs
Filling and Swirl
4 Tbl unsalted butter softened
1 1/2 Cups powdered sugar
2 to 3 Tbl. milk
1/2 Cup heavy cream
1 TBL light corn syrup
1 Cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. Heat oven to 350* Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.
2. Combine flour,cocoa,bakingsoda and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk to blend. Combine the buttermilk and vanilla in a measuring cup.
3. Beat the butter and sugar in a medium mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium high until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Add the flour mixture alternating with the buttermilk mixture starting and ending with the flour mixture.
4. Divide the batter between the prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes.Transfer to a wire rack and cool 10 minutes. Invert and cool completely.
5. Filling and swirl: Beat the butter in a medium sized bowl until light and fluffy. Gradually add the powdered sugar. Add 2 TBL milk and beat 5 minutes until almost white and fluffy. Add addditional milk if mixture is too thick. Spoon frosting into a pastry bag fitted with a medium sized plain round tip. Insert pastry tip in cooled cupcake about a 1/2 inch deep, and squeeze.
6. Meanwhile make the glaze, Heat the cream and cornsyrup in a small sauce pan over medium heat until it just comes to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in the chocolate chips , cover and let stand 5 minutes . Whisk until smooth..
7. Dip the tops of the filled cupcakes in the glaze and let set for 10 minutes.(I put mine in the refrigerator)
8. Change the piping tip for the vanilla frosting to a small round tip and pipe decorative swirls on the tops of the glazed cupcakes.