Saturday, November 7, 2009

Mom's 100% Whole Wheat Bread



I love homemade bread and my mother is the master at making it. When I first started baking whole wheat bread I had the tendency to add too much flour causing my bread to be dry and crumbly. Resist the urge to add more flour than necessary. Add flour just until the dough starts pulling away from the sides of your mixing bowl.
My Mom's Recipe for 100% Whole Wheat Bread
(Printable Version)
4 1/2 Cups of Hot Tap Water
2/3 Cup Canola Oil
1 Cup honey
2 Tbl Salt
2 TBL Yeast dissolved with 1/2 Cup warm water
* Whole Wheat flour add enough flour until dough starts to pull away from the sides of your mixing bowl. ( I used 10 cups of flour and 1/2 cup of vital wheat gluten.)
You will use more flour if using freshly ground wheat. The wheat gluten helps to keep the bread fresher longer as well as helping create a nice texture. My mom does not use the wheat gluten and her bread is amazing.
Mix dough in your mixer for 10 minutes and then let then dough rest 10 minutes. Spray 4 loaf pans with pam and then shape dough into loafs and let rise until the dough reaches the lip of the bread pan. Bake at 350 * for 30 to 35 minutes.
* The dough will be slightly sticky so just spray you hands with Pam or water when forming the loaves*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You make it sound and look so easy!