Saturday, August 30, 2008
Homemade Hamburger Buns (bread machine recipe)
(makes 12 large hamburger buns or 30 small dinner rolls)
1 1/ 4 c. milk slightly warmed
1 large beaten egg
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup white sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 3/4 cups breadflour
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
1. Place all ingredients in pan of bread machine as per the order above according to manufacturer’s directions.
2. Select “Dough” setting.
3. When cycle is complete, turn out onto floured surface.
4. Cut dough in half and roll each half out to a 1″ thick circle.
5. Cut each half into six 3 1/2″ rounds with inverted glass as a cutter.
6. Place on greased baking sheet far apart and brush with melted butter.
7. Cover and let rise until doubled, about one hour.
8. Bake at 350° for 9 minutes.
9. Note: Oven temperatures vary so check after 9 minutes to see if done. Some reviewers baked these anywhere from 12 to 15 minutes.
For those of you who would like to knead the dough by hand -
1) mix the yeast granules and sugar into the cup of warm milk. Set aside for 5 minutes.
2) in a large mixing bowl, put in the dry ingredients.
3) make a hole in the centre and pour in the milk mixture together with the beaten egg.
4) knead until the dough is incorporated and lumped into a nice, smooth ball.
5) leave in a covered bowl in for 1 hour until the dough has risen.
6) remove dough from bowl, and continue with Step # 5 in the recipe given above. Remember to put some flour on the work surface.