I definitely have a Love / Hate relationship with these cookie bars. They are soft and delicious just like Lofthouse Style Sugar cookies. They are super delicious. The hate part is that they are so yummy and so effortless so easy to make that they can be a little dangerous to have around. I have another Sugar Cookie Bar recipe on this blog but this one from Jamie Cooks it up is definitely the BEST. I trust you will enjoy it as much as we do !
Sugar Cookie Bars (print here)
1 1/2 C sugar
1 C butter, softened
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 t almond extract
1 t vanilla
1/2 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
2 1/2 C flour
1/2 C butter softened
4 oz cream cheese, softened
3 1/2 C powdered sugar
3-5 T milk
1 t vanilla
1. In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer beat the butter, cream cheese, sugar, and egg until nice and frothy. About 4 minutes.
2. Add the vanilla and almond extract and beat for 1 minute more.
3. In a small bowl combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Mix them around so that all ingredients are well incorporated.
4. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat for about 2 minutes.
5. Press the dough into a large jelly roll (cookie sheet) pan.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
7. Let the pan cool completely.
8. Time to make the frosting! In a medium sized bowl (or your stand mixer) combine the butter and cream cheese. Beat for about 2 minutes.
9. Add the powdered sugar, milk, vanilla and food coloring. Mix for 1-2 minutes or until smooth.
10. Frost your pan of cookies. Cut the cookies into bars and serve!