Try this you won't be sorry. My husband likes it so well he has been known to "hide" the leftovers.
Ground Beef Taco Filling from Mels Kitchen Cafe(Printable Version)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 pound ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 to 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced fine (alternately, you can add hot pepper sauce to taste or canned jalapenos OR just leave out the heat altogether, although I think the meat really needs a little kick and adding the jalapeno without seeds didn't make the dish overly spicy)
- Taco shells, Additional taco garnishes
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the oil and chopped onion. Cook, stirring often, until the onion is softened, about 4-5 minutes. Add the ground beef and cook, breaking up the meat into smaller chunks, until it is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Off the heat, drain the grease.
- Fill taco shells and add garnish