Friday, February 26, 2010

Chicken and Dumplings



I made this dish for dinner last night. I can't remember where I got this recipe, I wanted to try it because it did not use cream of chicken soup like some recipes. The only change  I would make would be to use a whole chicken and boil it creating my own broth. 

Chicken and Dumplings (PRINTABLE VERSION)

Use a tall sauce pan, or a big pot
Heat a 32oz carton of chicken broth with about as much water (32oz) – it’s totally fine to dilute the broth, because you’ll be adding chicken pieces
Cut up 1.5 lbs or so of chicken breast (or whatever part of the chicken you like) into bite-sized pieces, and add it to the broth and water (NEXT TIME I AM GOING TO BOIL A WHOLE CHICKEN AND MAKE MY OWN BROTH)
Dice half a white onion (or a whole one, if you’re bold) and drop it in the pot
Chop up 3-4 carrots, and add to the pot
Add one can of corn
Add one can of green beans( I used peas and carrots)
Maybe 2-3 pieces of celery chopped up, if you have it
Drop in a bay leaf if you have one. Remove before serving.(I tell my kids that, anyways) Feel free to add other spices. Just experiment. It always turns out great.
While the chicken soup is simmering, prepare the dumplings…
Dumplings
Mix in a metal bowl:
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt (or a little less)
4 Tbsp chopped parsley – I never measure this. I just chop up a good handful.
3 tsp baking powder
1 cup milk (I use whole milk)
4 Tbsp oil (I use olive oil, but canola or whatever should work)
Barely stir together for soft dough!
Drop in 12-16 spoonfuls onto chicken stew. They’ll probably sink a little, but no worries. Just spread them around the pot.
Put lid on pot and DO NOT REMOVE for 15 minutes.

No comments: