Saturday, August 6, 2011

Zucchini Bisque

I received this great recipe from my Mother In Law. It was a big hit at our house. It reminded the kids of a cream of broccoli soup . We added a little cheese to top it off and served it with corn bread. 
The following recipe and notes are courtesy of Jan King.

I turned 20 cups of zucchini from our garden into 5 quarts of yummy Zucchini Bisque yesterday.  I doubled the following recipe.
(Printable Version)
10 cups zucchini
1 large onion, chopped
1 cube butter
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup half & half
salt & white pepper to taste
1 dash nutmeg

Simmer everything except the cream until squash & onion are tender.  Blend until smooth, add cream.

I used to make this in Mesa AZ, in the morning and served it chilled for dinner with Bacon Corn Muffins for a refreshing meal when it was hot.  However, Don actually prefers it warm.  I put 4 quarts in the freezer to enjoy later, and I will serve it with Corn Fritters.

No comments: