This recipe is definitely one of those Special Occasion type desserts. It is very rich and Yummy. The cupcake and filling make this recipe so good you could forgo the icing and top with plain whipped cream.(Yum)
The Butterfinger Icing takes it up a notch. You will be popular for sure when you make and share this treat!!
Butterfinger Blizzard Cupcakes from Your Cup of Cake
6 tablespoons butter
¾ cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon water
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon evaporated milk
1 tablespoon vanilla
Devil’s Food Cake Mix
½ cup water
¼ cup milk
½ cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream
½ can sweetened condensed milk
Caramel Sauce (homemade recipe above or store bought)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffins tins with cupcake liners.
2. If not using store bought caramel, make caramel by heating the butter, brown sugar, water and salt and let boil for 3-5 minutes while stirring constantly. Remove from heat, pour in evaporated and stir in vanilla. Set aside.
3. Cake: Lightly beat eggs, water, milk, and oil together. Stir in vanilla and sour cream and cake mix.
4. Fill cupcake liners ¾ full and bake for 13-18 minute or until a knife comes out clean.
5. While cupcakes are in the oven, mix sweetened condense milk and caramel sauce together. Pour into a squeeze bottle with a small tip if available.
6. While cupcake are still hot, fill with condensed milk/caramel mixture by pushing the tip of the squeeze bottle into them . It can look ugly because you will cover it up later. Or use a knife to cute out a shallow hole at the top of each cupcake and spoon mixture into the hole.
7. Keep cupcakes in airtight containers until ready to decorate.
8. Butterfinger Buttercream: Here comes the tricky part… Unwrap the Butterfingers and do your best to shave off the chocolate layer. Take the orange middles and crush in a bowl on in a plastic bag. Sift as much of the candy as possible. You want to get about ½ cup of orange Butterfinger powder. Make sure it is finely crushed so when you pipe it on the cupcakes it won't clog the opening of your tip.
9. Beat butter and cream cheese for 5 minutes. Add as much powdered sugar as desired and milk ( I used heavy cream). Add the sifted Butterfinger and beat well.
10. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and use the chocolate shavings and the parts that were too big to sift to decorate.