Tonight we made an old family favorite Porcupine Meatballs , I paired them with some yummy potatoes I found at the sisters cafe .
We have always like these, it is a nice change from traditional meatloaf.
Porcupine Meatballs (Printable Version)
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Add beef and mix
- well. shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. In a large skillet, brown
- meatballs in oil; drain. Combine tomato sauce, water, brown sugar
- and Worcestershire sauce; pour over meatballs. Reduce heat; cover
- and simmer for 1 hour. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 284 calories, 14 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 900 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 17 g protein.
Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes (Printable Version)
3 lbs. potatoes, peeled and quartered
1/4 lb. butter
1/2-1 c. milk
1/2 c. sour cream
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground pepper*
Cook the potatoes in a large pot of boiling salted water for 15-20 minutes until very tender. Meanwhile heat the butter and milk in small sauce pan (or in microwave). Drain potatoes. While still hot, place the potatoes in a big bowl. Slowly add the milk and butter mixture, sour cream, salt, and pepper. Mix until the potatoes are mashed but not completely smooth.