· 2 pounds ground beef
· 2 medium onions, chopped
· 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes
· 6 medium carrots, thinly sliced
· 3 celery ribs, thinly sliced
· 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
· 2 cups water
· 1 to 2 tablespoons salt
· 1 to 2 teaspoons pepper
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, carrots, celery, potatoes, water, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Uncover; simmer 20-30 minutes longer or until thickened. Freeze in 3-cup portions for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen stew: Thaw in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Transfer to a saucepan; add 1 cup of water for every 3 cups of frozen stew. Cook until hot and bubbly. Yield: about 5 batches (15 cups total).
To use frozen stew: Thaw in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Transfer to a saucepan; add water. Cook until hot and bubbly.