Monday, November 10, 2008
Libby’s Pumpkin Pie
• 1 (9 inch) unbaked deep dish pie crust
• 3/4 cup white sugar
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
• 2 eggs
• 1 (15 ounce) can LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
• 1 (12 fluid ounce) can NESTLE® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
1. Preheat oven to 425 F.
2. Combine sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs lightly in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk. Pour into pie shell.
3. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 F.; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. (Do not freeze as this will cause the crust to separate from the filling.)
Flakiest Pie Crust
1c shortening (I use all vegetable)
1 tsp salt
for the slurry:
In a large bowl, cut shortening into flour and salt with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs (about the size of small peas). Combine the 1/3c water and 1/2c flour to make a slurry. Pour over crumbled shortening mixture and mix till just combined. Divide dough in half. Wrap each half in plastic wrap and flatten into a small disc.
Refrigerate for about 30 minutes to set. This will make rolling it out much easier. If you don't need a double crust, you can freeze one half of the dough and use it later.
When ready to use the crust, roll out each half on a heavily floured surface with a floured rolling pin. If it doesn't go well the first time, it's okay. Just crumple it back into a ball and try again. It's VERY forgiving.
Makes 1 double crust